Skip to main content

Noise Complaint to the Department of Environmental Protection

The Montgomery County Noise Ordinance regulates noise from a range of activities in the County. The Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) enforces the Noise Ordinance. Please refer to the link below for more information about noise, including maximum allowable noise levels under the Noise Ordinance. The Ordinance does not cover noise from vehicles. Complaints regarding excessive noise from vehicles should be made to the Police Department by calling the non-emergency number at 301.279.8000.

Montgomery County's noise control law does not contain any specific sound limits applicable to internal noise between units in a multifamily property. Issues involving routine sounds associated with living in a multifamily setting, such as loud voices, heavy footsteps, doors slamming, dropping objects on the floor, children playing, or running pets are the responsibility of the building manager or property management company to resolve.

Online customers wishing to file a complaint regarding a potential noise violation may do so by clicking on the "Create Service Request" button below. Please complete all required fields, and provide any information that will help DEP address the issue in the "Additional Information" box.

An investigator from DEP will typically contact the requestor within 3 business days, although resolution of the issue may take longer depending on the circumstances of the case.

Find more information from the following link(s):

Last Updated: 07/01/2021 08:14:31