Skip to main content

Complaint Regarding Internet Service Providers

The Office of Consumer Protection (OCP) handles complaints against internet service providers but only if the complaint is DSL or satellite.

Complaint forms are available by clicking on the "Filing Consumer Complaints" link below. When OCP receives a complaint, it is assigned to an investigator and an acknowledgement letter is sent to the complainant's provided email address. Complaints regarding Verizon FiOS or Comcast should go Cable and Broadband Services.

Find more information from the following link(s):
To speak with a Customer Service Representative, please call 311 during business hours.

Last Updated: 01/10/2019 09:23:15