Skip to main content

When to Assign an Agent, Legal Agent, or Management Company to Handle Rental Property

Owners of rental property who use a management company or agent for the property's management are required to notify the Department of Housing and Community Affairs, Licensing and Registration (L & R) office. An Administrative Agent receives all rental license bills, correspondence and compliance documents. A Management Contact is a representative from the Management Company who is responsible for the property.

A Legal Agent is required if the Rental Property Owner who uses a P.O. Box or resides outside the State of Maryland; including nearby Washington, DC or Virginia. The Legal Agent must live in Maryland, provide a home address and agree to accept legal documents on behalf of the out-of-state owner. Legal Agents cannot be tenants, but do not have to be professional management agents. Possible Legal Agents are friends, former neighbors or family members.

Owners may designate an Administrative Agent, Management Contact or Legal Agent online or complete the form(s) available on the DHCA Licensing and Registration website. Please click on link # 2 below.

Online users who have additional questions that require the expertise of a staff member, please see the topic entitled "Request to Speak with a Licensing and Registration Specialist".

Find more information from the following link(s):
To speak with a Customer Service Representative, please call 311 during business hours.

Last Updated: 12/18/2018 14:45:51