Skip to main content

Room Rental Transient Tax Information

Section 52-16 of the Montgomery County Code, as amended, imposes a Room Rental-Transient Tax upon each and every person, who for a period of thirty or fewer days occupies, for compensation, sleeping accommodations in a public or private hotel, motel, inn, hostelry, tourist home, a residential house or a room within a house, and or any other lodging located in Montgomery County, Maryland.

Every provider, including homeowners, that offers for compensation sleeping accommodations for a period of thirty or fewer days is liable for paying the Room Rental-Transient Tax.

Providers (homeowners) who receive payments for a short-term rental are liable to pay the tax> If an online broker such as, HomeAway, VRBO, Hometogo, Homelidays, VacationRentals, Airbnb, etc., the provider is still responsible for paying the tax. However, if the online broker pays the tax on the provider's behalf the provider must provide the County proof that the online broker is submitting the tax directly to the County.

For questions, comments or concerns, please email the office at:

Find more information from the following link(s):
To speak with a Customer Service Representative, please call 311 during business hours.

Last Updated: 10/26/2020 15:13:14