Skip to main content

Drainage Issues or Standing Water on Private Property

Environmental Protection staff does not typically evaluate drainage problems from general standing water/ponding/flooding issues caused by residential runoff originating from adjacent lots. Property owners interested in solving drainage issues on their property may consult information available on the DEP RainScapes page (see link below) or attend a RainScapes workshop, typically offered in the Spring (listed on the DEP calendar). County property owners outside of the jurisdictions of Rockville, Gaithersburg and Takoma Park may apply to the RainScapes Rewards Program to do a qualified project and receive a RainScapes Rewards Rebate. After receiving an application for a project, RainScapes staff will conduct an on-site review of the project idea and may suggest site specific solutions, including a variety of RainScapes techniques, which will allow rainfall to soak into the soil and be absorbed into the ground better. RainScapes are also attractive landscaping features. To apply to the RainScapes program, click on the "RAINSCAPES PROGRAM" link below.

To report drainage problems from a roadway please see topic "STREET DRAINAGE REPAIR" or if the water runoff is from a neighbor's property, see topic "DISCHARGE OF WATER ONTO ADJOINING PROPERTY". If the water problems are from a construction site, see topic: FILE COMPLAINT WITH THE DEPARTMENT OF PERMITTING SERVICES (DPS)"

DEP will contact citizens within 5 business days, although resolution of the issue may take longer depending on the circumstances of the case.

Find more information from the following link(s):
To speak with a Customer Service Representative, please call 311 during business hours.

Last Updated: 07/02/2018 10:30:36