MC311 Logo
Call 311 To Get It Done!
For Emergency: 911 | Out of County: 240-777-0311


Enter an English language keyword to search the 311 web site:
  Results will be returned in English language

All Services

Report an Un-shoveled Sidewalk
It is the responsibility of each property owner to remove snow and ice from walkways within 24 hours of the end of the precipitation that caused the condition. If a snowplow re-deposits snow or ice on a sidewalk or other walkway after a person has complied with this Section, the person is not responsible for clearing the walkway until 24 hours after the snowplow re-deposited the snow or ice. Please see section 49-17(a) on the attached link for the specific Code reference.

Letters are sent to homeowners who are reported to be in violation. Inspections of commercial properties and multi-family properties are conducted within one business day of a complaint. DHCA Housing Code Enforcement does not have jurisdiction inside the municipalities of Gaithersburg and Rockville. Complaints regarding rental properties within the City of Takoma Park are also handled by DHCA but complaints regarding commercial or owner occupied properties in that jurisdiction are handled by the City of Takoma Park.

In order to efficiently handle the large volume of requests following a snowfall and to ensure that the DHCA Housing Code Enforcement Unit has the most complete information required to enforce this law, please call 311 (240-777-0311 from outside of the County) to report an un-shoveled sidewalk.

The exact property address of the alleged violation is requested in order to identify the property owner responsible for snow removal.

If the exact address is not known, click on the third link below and enter a nearby or adjacent address and use the map to find the requested address.

Please advise the agent if this is a commercial, multi-family (apartment or condominium), or residential property.

Find more information from the following link(s):
  • Sec. 49-17. Accumulation of Snow and Ice on Property Prohibited
  • Montgomery County Safe Sidewalks
  • MNCPPC Property Locater Map

  • To speak with a Customer Service Representative, please call 311 during business hours.