MC311 Logo
Call 311 To Get It Done!
For Emergency: 911 | Out of County: 240-777-0311


Enter an English language keyword to search the 311 web site:
  Results will be returned in English language

All Services

County Department: DHCA
Dead Tree or Branches on Private Property
If there are dead branches or a dead tree, department responsibility depends on the location of the tree. The Department of Transportation (DOT) has responsibility for trees on County property, Right-of-way, along roads, (see "Dead County Tree") while DHCA Housing Code Enforcement handles dead trees, branches on private property. It is the responsibility of the property owner where the tree is located to maintain the tree. If a tree has fallen, the property owner is responsible for removing that portion of the tree that lies on their property and the County cannot force a property owner to remove a fallen dead tree from a neighbor's property. If a property owner is unable to resolve a dispute regarding a dead tree that has fallen from an adjoining property, they should contact their homeowners insurance company. See Section 26-9(b)(5) of Chapter 26, Housing and Building and Maintenance Standards on the attached link for the Code reference.

To file a complaint regarding a dead tree or branches on private property, please see the topic entitled "HOUSING COMPLAINTS, "or click on the second link below.

Find more information from the following link(s):
  • Chapter 26 - Housing and Building Maintenance Standards
  • Submit a Housing Complaint

  • If you would like to speak to a Customer Service Representative, please call 311 (240.777.0311 from outside of Montgomery County) between 7:00 AM – 7:00 PM, Monday – Friday. If this is an emergency, please dial 911.