MC311 Logo
Call 311 To Get It Done!
For Emergency: 911 | Out of County: 240-777-0311


Enter an English language keyword to search the 311 web site:
Results will be returned in English language

All Services

Amount of Allowable Landlord Rent Increase
Montgomery County does not exercise rent control for rented residences (except in the incorporated City of Takoma Park). Therefore, the amount of rent increase is at the discretion of the landlord. However, there is a Voluntary Rent Guideline established annually by the County Executive and it is available by clicking on the link below. This guideline is based on the rental component of the Consumer Price Index for the Baltimore-Washington Metropolitan Area and it is updated each year. The voluntary guideline for 2014 is 1.5%.

The Office of Landlord Tenant Affairs handles landlord and tenant disputes involving most residential rental properties located in Montgomery County however, does NOT have jurisdiction within the incorporated municipalities of the City of Gaithersburg (301-258-6340), City of Rockville (240-314-8330), City of Takoma Park (301-891-7119), Town of Barnesville, Town of Garrett Park, and the Town of Laytonsville. Questions regarding properties within these incorporated municipalities should be referred to Baltimore Neighborhoods Inc. (1-800-487-6007) or the local municipality for further information.

To file a formal Landlord Tenant complaint, download a complaint form and follow the filing instructions by visiting the DHCA website utilizing the provided URL.

Find more information from the following link(s):
  • Voluntary Rent Guidelines
  • Landlord-Tenant Complaint Form
  • Office of Landlord-Tenant Affairs (OLTA)

  • To speak with a Customer Service Representative, please call 311 during business hours.