Skip to main content

Food Service Facility Licensing and Inspections

To distribute, prepare, handle, or dispense food for public consumption, a license is required. Please check the website for complete information. Food cannot be prepared out of a private residence for distribution to the public. A Cottage Food Business may only offer food products at farmer's markets. Refer to KBA for Farm or Farmer's Market License. To apply for a license, one may go to the Office at 255 Rockville Pike, Rockville, MD. 20850, 2nd floor, Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM.

It takes approximately 30 days for a license to be issued. New restaurants will have an inspector assigned who will contact the owner to set up an inspection, prior to opening. Once a business is open, inspections are random and unannounced.

A Bed and Breakfast is a lodging or rooming house having 8 or less rooms. Bed and Breakfast facilities are not permitted to sell hot meals, except for hot beverages and toasted bread products. Any Bed and Breakfast that sells anything other than cold meals t or have more than 8 rooms must obtain a food service facility license. The same facilities are required to obtain a Montgomery County transient lodging license.

Online users who have additional questions may submit a request by clicking on the "Create Service Request" button below. Please provide the requestor's name, phone number, email address, and a brief description of the request.

Find more information from the following link(s):