Skip to main content

Transient Lodging Facility

A license is required through the Department of Health and Human Services, Licensure and Regulatory Office (L&R), for anyone intending to provide lodging or lodging and meals for transient visitors or anyone operating a rooming house. A transient lodging facility is any rooming house, boarding house, tourist home, hotel, motel, tourist court, motor court, tourist camp or similar establishment. A transient lodging license must be obtained for each transient lodging facility prior to operating in Montgomery County. (This license does not apply in Chevy Chase Village, Town of Chevy Chase, City of Gaithersburg, Garrett Park, Kensington, Laytonsville, Poolesville, City of Rockville, Town of Somerset, and Washington Grove.) New applicants must attach a current Use and Occupancy Permit and Fire Marshal approval. Applications and additional information online (Click on link below). Applicants may also apply at 255 Rockville Pike, 1st Floor, Suite 100, Rockville, MD 20850 between the hours of 8:00 AM and 4:00 PM, Monday through Friday. It takes approximately 30 days to issue a license. Bed and breakfast lodging facilities also are required to obtain a license. L&R will also respond to most complaints about a transient lodging facility, except for indoor air quality.

Online users who have additional questions and would like to be contacted by a departmental staff member may submit a request by clicking on the Create Service Request button below. Please complete all of the fields in the Contact Information section then scroll down to the bottom of the page and provide a brief description of the request in the Brief Description field.

Find more information from the following link(s):