MC311 Logo
Call 311 To Get It Done!
For Emergency: 911 | Out of County: 240-777-0311


Enter an English language keyword to search the 311 web site:
Results will be returned in English language

All Services

County Department: DHCA
Dead Tree or Branches on Private Property
If there are dead branches or a dead tree, department responsibility depends on the location of the tree. The Department of Transportation (DOT) has responsibility for trees on County property, Right-of-way, along roads, (see "Dead County Tree") while DHCA Housing Code Enforcement handles dead trees, branches on private property. It is the responsibility of the property owner where the tree is located to maintain the tree. If a tree has fallen, the property owner is responsible for removing that portion of the tree that lies on their property and the County cannot force a property owner to remove a fallen dead tree from a neighbor's property. If a property owner is unable to resolve a dispute regarding a dead tree that has fallen from an adjoining property, they should contact their homeowners insurance company. See Section 26-9(b)(5) of Chapter 26, Housing and Building and Maintenance Standards on the attached link for the Code reference.

DHCA Housing Code Enforcement does not have jurisdiction inside the municipalities of Gaithersburg and Rockville. Complaints regarding rental properties within the City of Takoma Park are also handled by DHCA but complaints regarding commercial or owner occupied properties are handled by the City of Takoma Park.

Online customers may submit a complaint by clicking on the "Create Service Request" button below and providing the requested information.

* The complainant's name and phone number are requested so that the inspector can call and provide an update of their findings.

* The exact street address of the alleged violation must be provided to file a complaint.

* Please provide a brief description of the problem, along with a specific location (if applicable).

Inspections are typically conducted within 5 business days (dependent on urgency, existing schedule, and caseload).

Find more information from the following link(s):
  • Chapter 26 - Housing and Building Maintenance Standards
  • Check Status of Complaint/Inspection