Skip to main content

State Department of Education Office of Child Care and Child Care Center Licensing Requirements

When opening a childcare program in a separate, independent facility or in a private home, a license from the Maryland State Department of Education, Office of Child Care must be obtained. Orientation sessions are scheduled regularly to explain the licensing process and provide the application materials. Call: 240.314.1400 and ask to register for the family childcare orientation if the request is to care for children in a home, or the center orientation if the request is to operate a program in a separate facility. See web sites below for how to obtain a license, and other pertinent information.

When applying for a day care license in a private home, the application will ask about public or private water source to the home. The applicant should check the box for public (WSSC maintained) or private, for well water, and send the application back to the office. The office will then contact the water provider for an inspection. For any other questions contact the number above.

The program has a local office at 51 Monroe Street, Rockville, MD. 20850 that is open from 1:00 PM ? 4:00 PM, Monday through Friday ONLY for dropping off applications.

Find more information from the following link(s):
To speak with a Customer Service Representative, please call 311 during business hours.