311 is Montgomery County’s phone number for non-emergency government information and services. For emergency calls, residents should continue to call 911. A new website is available at www.montgomerycountymd.gov/311.
- 311 allows customers to call one easy-to-remember number to access Montgomery County information and services.
- Customers can also access information and create or track service requests on the website at www.montgomerycountymd.gov/311.
- Hours of operation are Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. The call center is closed on Saturdays, Sundays and holidays.
- Trained representatives who speak Spanish are available, as is a language interpretation service for other languages.
- TTY is available by calling 301-251-4850.
- Customer service representatives and the online system use a state-of-the-art database of information and services about County government that can be continually updated so the most current facts are available.
- The 311 system can quickly incorporate real time information in the event of a community event/emergency, like a water main break, H1N1 flu epidemic or weather-related incident.
- In Montgomery County, call 311
- Outside of Montgomery County, call 240-777-0311
- The TTY number is 301-251-4850.
- Reminder: Call 911 for emergencies
- Website: www.montgomerycountymd.gov/311
Q. What is 311?
A. 311 is Montgomery County government’s new, telephone number to find government programs and services.
Q. Can I go online for information and services?
A. Yes. Go to www.montgomerycountymd.gov/311. It’s available 24/7.
Q. How will police, fire or medical emergency calls be handled?
A. If a call that comes into 311 office is an actual emergency, the call will immediately be transferred to a 911 operator and the 311 Customer Service Representative will stay on the line to ensure that the caller is properly connected. For other urgent issues such as emergency shelter, mental health, domestic violence, or child or adult abuse, the caller will be immediately transferred to the Crisis Center at 240-777-4000.
Q. Why 311?
A. Makes it much easier to reach County departments and services and greatly expands information available online.
Q. Can I reach 311 if I am outside of the County?
A. Yes, by calling 240-777-0311.
Q. Is the call to 311 free on my cell phone?
A. Check with your carrier as fees vary. Some may be free, others may charge a fee.
Q. What hours does the 311 call center operate?
A. The Customer Service Center is open Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Online access is available anytime, day or night, at www.montgomerycountymd.gov/311.
Q. What happens when I call 311?
A. You will hear a brief announcement welcoming you to MC311 and asking you to select your preferred language. You will then be connected to a trained and knowledgeable professional ready to assist you. The Customer Service Center is multilingual and equipped with TDD/TTY for the hearing impaired.
Q. When should I contact 311?
A. If you need information on Montgomery County services and programs, would like to make a request for services or have a complaint or compliment for County officials, call 311, or go to www.montgomerycountymd.gov/311.
Q. Will I need to give my name when calling or emailing?
A. MC311 will collect information that you provide while speaking to a Customer Service Representative or by email. Only the information needed to provide the services you have requested will be collected. MC311 callers may provide comments or request some information and services anonymously.
Q. Is 311 accessible to callers with limited English proficiency?
A. Yes. Our Customer Service Representatives speak several languages, including Spanish, Vietnamese, French, Chinese (Mandarin and Cantonese) and English. In addition, the MC311 Customer Service Center subscribes to a language interpretation service with over 100 languages available.
Q. What happens after I contact 311?
A. The Customer Service Representative will either provide you with the information you requested, or send the service request to the appropriate department. You will be given a service request number so you can track the progress of your request online or through a follow-up phone call.
Q. Will the MC311 Customer Service Center follow up on a resident’s request?
A. MC311 representatives can check the status of a service request, but the task of ensuring that a job is complete is the responsibility of the particular department handling the request.
Q. Can I still call a department directly if I know the number?
A. You may still call a direct number, however, about 30 county government numbers you have called in the past are currently re-routed to the 311 call center.
Q. What happens if I live in the city limits of any of the municipalities in Montgomery County?
A. You will still be able to call 311, however, you may be directed to call your local municipal government office if your request for service falls under their jurisdiction.
Q. Can I call 311 about public schools or Montgomery College information?
A. Inquiries about public schools or Montgomery College will still go directly to those organizations.
Q. What happens if I call 311 during off-hours?
A. You will hear a recording giving you the hours of operation and directing you to call 911 or the Crisis Center in the event of an emergency.
Q. What about during emergencies – will 311 be on the job?
A. MC311 Customer Service Center will support all County emergency response efforts including severe weather, public health and public safety events.
Q. Can I sign up to testify at a public hearing by calling 311?
A. You will be re-directed to the agency taking sign ups for public hearings.
Q. Can I call 311 about job openings in Montgomery County government?
A. Yes. MC311 Customer Service Representatives can answer your questions and give instructions on how to apply for County employment.
Q. Can I schedule an appointment at a County health clinic by calling 311?
A. No. It will still be necessary to speak directly with the health clinic to schedule an appointment. MC311 call takers will transfer these calls to the appropriate health clinic.
Type your keyword(s) into the search box in the upper right hand portion of the main page.
- The keyword search will look for the matching text in title, description and keywords.
- For any search criteria longer than one word, all spaces will be changed to an 'and' statement (this means that if 2 words are searched, BOTH words must be found).
- In order to narrow the search, it is helpful to be as specific as possible when typing in a key word or words. For example, when looking for information on getting a pothole repaired, enter the words, 'pot' and 'hole', not just 'pot' or 'hole'. If searching for apartment rentals, enter the entire word 'apartment' not the abbreviated 'apt'. If inquiring about bulk trash pickup, use a keyword search of “trash pickup,” not just “trash” which will bring up a lengthy list of options.
- The keyword search is NOT case sensitive.
- Do not put quote marks (',') around your search word in the search box.